Raymond, I'd LOVE to use Crumb's notation, but there's no quick & easy way
to get that into Finale.

Thanks for all your opinions. Seems like I agree with most of you. Now,
here's a follow-up:

I'm working on a piece in 5/4. The composer wrote this as kind of a "sequel"
to another piece he wrote in 5/4. Someone else engraved that other piece and
used the whole-tied-to-quarter method. For consistency's sake, I'm wondering
if I should follow the same convention. The composer is expecting these
pieces to be paired together in performances.