On 15 Jan 2011 at 13:44, John Howell wrote:

> And of course one has to assume that the Parisians didn't invent the
> rhythmic modes just as a theoretical exercise, but because they were
> already singing some music rhythmically but had no means to notate it.
> Composition and notation have leapfrogged each other throughout
> history.

Actually, it's a bit more complex than that.

Modal theory was developed to systematize a practice that already
existed, and that had developed without a theory behind it.

But not the WHOLE of modal theory. Some of the modes did not exist in
the music at the time the theory was developed, and were only
theorical concepts created to make a logical theoretical structure
that fit the Medieval idea of how a theory should work. Mode 2 was
invented as a necessary logical correspondent to Mode 1, and it's
really quite rare in most of the modal music (if there's any evidence
for it anywhere at all, in fact -- there are big arguments over this
among modern scholars, of course).

All the other modes are just elaborations of the distinction between
modes 1 and 2 (subdivisions of the first two modes), so this follows
through the other modes, as well.

This is a case where musical practice was changed by theory, in that
theory conceptualized a possibility that had not yet been used in
actual music (mode 2), and then composers took the theory and
(presumably -- that argument, again) started writing music based on
the new theoretical concept.

The evidence for all of this is quite difficult to divine, since
first of all the system itself is so difficult to know unambiguously
what was meant in the first place, but even that aside, because so
many of the sources were copied later and show scribal interventions
that disambiguate the old notation using Garlandian and Franconian
notational elements that were available to these later scribes. So,
in many cases, we don't know what the original notation would have
looked like at all, and we also don't know if the later scribes were
interpreting it correctly.

In a sense, it's a situation like if we had only Brahms's piano
transcription of the Bach Chaconne and had to attempt to reconstruct
the original version from that. How much is from Brahms? How much is
from Bach? And in the case of the later scribes, we don't even know
if they properly understood the old modal notation, so their
clarifications might very well misrepresent the original.

And then we can't really firmly date all this stuff, so we can't say
if mode 2 only appeared after a certain point, i.e., after the
theories were developed.

But to me, the story of the beginnings of rhythmic notation is a case
where practice came first, but was soon significantly shaped by the
theorizing of the practice, which opened up possibilities that did
not yet exist in the practice, and which then started to be used in
actual composition.