On 2/17/2011 11:13 PM, Andrew Moschou wrote:
String players are seated further apart from each other and further
back from the music stands, because our bows and arms would knock each
other and the music stands otherwise.

Trumpet and trombone players are seated fairly far back so that their instruments don't play directly into the stand. String players don't have any special lock on distance-to-stand excuses. :-)

It's all a jumble anyway, because on a larger staff, poorly laid out music is just as hard to read as well laid out music on a smaller staff might be. It all comes down to the engraving skill of the person producing the printed output, and any guidelines are just that.

As a private teacher I sit just as far to the side of the stand that the student's music is on as a sting player does and I have no problem reading the music.

And I wear trifocals.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com