On 4/5/2011 7:39 AM, Matthew Hindson Gma wrote:
Yeah, well, the situation was probably that the engraver had little to
no time to do it, and wasn't paid that much, and there was no adequate
proof reader on the publisher end with time to go over their work.
Not that that's an acceptable excuse, espec for a big company like
Peters, but it seems to be prevalent doesn't it.
What I find surprising with my students is that there is so often a
(wilful?) ignorance regarding score output, ie quality. I have seen some
doozies lately, and the composers just shrug their shoulders as if
Sibelius absolves them of all responsibility in this regard. </rant>

It's amazing how little people actually pay attention to the music they read so as to know what to try to reproduce (or avoid) when they use Sibelius or Finale.

People who have played tons of pieces from the best publishing houses for many years have no idea that the first line of their part is usually indented.

They have no idea they shouldn't be putting a time signature at the start of each line of music.

They wonder why the stems aren't going up on the top 2 spaces or lines of the staff when there's only one line of music.

It's like they've never even focused on what the music they've been playing for many years actually looks like.

And people willing to accept default output from any program, whether a word processor, an engraving program, whatever are all too prevalent. They figure "experts" programmed those defaults so why should they change them.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com