Back to this subject for a moment:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/04/18/science/20110419- music-expression.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=thab1

The page that comes up for me has a test of pieces performed by human and machines, and the mixture of the two. We are asked to pick the most expressive... probably corresponding to the human playing the piece. It seemed pretty obvious to me which was the human playing. There was expressiveness because there was a logic to the variation in loudness, tempo, and all the subtleties within these over time.
Expressiveness is only possible with cognizance.

In a funny convergence of events, I happen to have just read that Bradley Manning was deeply intrigued in Kant's book, Critique of Pure Reason, (available to read here <http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/4280/ pg4280.html >) in which Kant in essence makes the argument that all of humans failings are due to his inability to perceive the truth, to tell the truth, and to act upon the truth. It is a challenge to readers to change the way they experience in order to convey truth to others and thereby improve man's condition. it is no wonder that Manning chose to expose raw data in order that the world might see first hand that they were being fed massive quantities of misinformation.. but that is another topic.

So, back to the article on expressive music: Here is what Kant has to say about representation.

Understanding is, to speak generally, the faculty Of cognitions. These consist in the determined relation of given representation to an object. But an object is that, in the conception of which the manifold in a given intuition is united. Now all union of representations requires unity of consciousness in the synthesis of them. Consequently, it is the unity of consciousness alone that constitutes the possibility of representations relating to an object, and therefore of their objective validity, and of their becoming cognitions, and consequently, the possibility of the existence of the understanding itself.

So this is another way of saying that it only in understanding that representation can occur, real expression of an object, or in this case, the musical object. Superficial application of variations is not comprehension, is not understanding, and

cannot be expressive.

Anyway, I don't know how others did on the test. but I found all this very informative.

best,

timothy.key.price
timothy.key.pr...@valley.net