On May 18, 2011, at 2:46 AM, Christopher Smith wrote:

> I have noticed the OPPOSITE with untrained voices, though you are certainly
> right about trained classical voices. I suspect that Mark has the fortune to
> be working with better-trained choirs than the national median.

I have had the fortune of working with choirs at every level of training, from
the rankest amateurs to the finest professionals.  It is true, however, that
nearly all of them were performing or attempting to perform in the "classical"
nonpop genre. You're right that in pop the men all want to sing high and the
women all want to sing low, but somehow that pop style doesn't find its way
into the nonpop community.

Or at least it didn't. Maybe that's changing. The last time I was really active
chorally was 2003, when I directed the chorus for a small opera company with a
volunteer chorus, the sort of place where you have to recruit hard to get
enough men on the stage.  And come to think of it, I did have one tenor, a
young guy about 20 years old with no voice training to speak of but a lot of
enthusiasm, and he did like singing in his high range. (I was happy to have
him!)

mdl