On 24 May 2011 at 17:21, Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre wrote:

> <http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/a/ac/IMSLP84123-PMLP40431-Mozar
> t_Werke_Breitkopf_Serie_09_12_KV361.pdf>
>
> has a reference right under the title telling that movements 1, 2, 3,
> and 7 are revisions of a string quintet composed in 1768. Only I have
> not been able to identify that string quintet.

Mozart didn't write a string quintet in 1768. His first was K174 from
1773.

The rubric in the AMA edition suggesting the quintet source is
completely outdated and not based on reliable scholarship. The
current Köchel catalog says:

     WSF [Wyzewa/St.Foix -- unreliable scholars who imagined all sorts
     of connections between works based on things in their own heads,
     rather than documented connections] (II 421) glauben, Satz 5 u. 6
     seien 1790 nachkomponiert worden. Einstein [K3] dagegen meint, daß
     das Thema mit Variationen (Satz 6) eine Bearbeitung des 2. Satzes
     aus 285b (Anh. 171) sei. Das ganze Autograph ist in einem Zuge
     geschrieben...

Nothing is mentioned there about a quintet. Also the comment about
"in einem Zuge" is no doubt intended to suggest that it was a
complete work, newly composed as Mozart entered it into the
autograph.

I've looked in the first and second Köchel catalogs (the only ones
that were possibly out when the AMA edition was printed), and there
is no mention of any such quintet origin in the entries on K361.

There's a lot of BS in Mozart "scholarship." Don't believe half of
what you read.