On 6/16/2011 7:45 PM, SN jef chippewa wrote:

> ok, yeah zackly, the ledger line length with 2nds, where the outer
> note is on a line.
>
> on 2nds outside the staff, where the outermost note sits on a line,
> the ledger line for that note is shorter (length of one notehead plus
> L/R extensions) than for other ledger lines nearer to the staff (the
> width of two noteheads plus L/R extensions).
>
> although this is indeed how it is done traditionally, i feel the full
> length adds clarity and a high degree of consistency (and, dare i
> say, elegance!) to the score.
>
> 2 examples showing the differences are here:
> http://newmusicnotation.com/TEMPFILES/move3_ledgerlines_with.pdf
> http://newmusicnotation.com/TEMPFILES/move3_ledgerlines_without.pdf

Are you saying that you think the example with the ledger line
extensions is better or worse?  I think with the extensions where they
wouldn't ordinarily be looks worse and is a bit more cluttered to read
easily.

I also think the extended ledger lines don't add elegance to the score
at all.

I think the example you posted above as "move3_ledgerlines_without.pdf"
is the better looking example of the two.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com