This may have been true in the UK many years ago but at the higher level of
brass band playing it is no longer the case.  There have been very many
"modern" works written for the genre and most of the top section bands
include such pieces in their repertoire.

At the small town level, yes, this is still true but at small town level
lots of things go on which serious musician bandsmen might wish not to be
associated with.

Amongst the list of high quality british bands, I am surprised no-one has
mentioned Besses Band who rehearse about five minutes drive from my home and
whose ex-solo cornet, Brian Mather I am proud to have as a colleague at our
music school.

Cheers,

Lawrence

--