christopher.sm...@videotron.ca wrote:

<< To Peter, most likely your client misunderstands the use of word extensions.
They should only be used for non-hyphenated syllables under more than one
notehead. You should correct that in your work for him.

<< But if you HAD to, just click "Adjust Word Extensions" (this will be in a
different place in 2011 than in previous versions) and handles will appear.
Drag the handle to change the length. Hyphenated syllables will not have word
extension handles, but you can add a Smart line manually. I don't recommend
either solution, as it is incorrect notation and will just generate useless
questions in rehearsal. >>

I don't agree with that. I understand that the standard is to only use a word
extension when a syllable continues to another note, but in a situation where
one voice has a long whole note while others are doing something else, I think
the irregular courtesy word extension does no harm and could be helpful. If a
client asks for such a thing, I don't think it's an unreasonable request, I
don't think it will cause any confusion in rehearsal, and I wouldn't tell him
it's "incorrect notation".

But anyway, I don't think this is actually what Peter is asking for. His real
issue is that he's putting multiple syllables under one long note. When you do
this, Finale refuses to allow a space, hyphen or underscore among them, because
its UI treats that as a code to jump to the next note. For the space you can
substitute a hard space. For the hyphen you can supposedly substitute a hard
hyphen, though in many fonts it will look wrong. For an underscore you're out
of luck.

What I would do here is to enter the whole intoned bit as a text box instead of
a lyric. (You may want to initially enter it as a lyric to help with getting
the font size and baseline properly aligned, but then delete the lyric once you
have the text box in place.)

mdl