From: finale-boun...@shsu.edu [finale-boun...@shsu.edu] On Behalf Of Chuck
Israels [cisra...@comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:37 PM
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] Bill Duncan Font bug in 2012

Dear Jari,

In order to explore this discrepancy, I opened Finale 2011 and looked for the
problem symbols in the FAN editor. Lo and behold, they appear in slots 213 and
218 in 2011.  How is it that they have migrated to different places when viewed
in 2012?

I'm sorry, if there is some element of understanding that I am missing.  I am
doing my best to supply all relevant information.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Chuck

On Oct 15, 2011, at 2:19 AM, Jari Williamsson wrote:

> On 2011-10-14 11:48, Chuck Israels wrote:
>> There are two essential (to me) symbols in Bill Duncan's
>> fonts for which one cannot adjust the FAN files, because the
>> symbols (the small and large slashes for rhythmic notation) are
>> in "slots" that are currently not supported in Finale 2012.
>> The symbols are in spaces 257 and 259, and the grid that
>> Finale shows where such things can be accessed in order to edit
>> them stops at #255.
>
> I'm a bit confused here. I understand the fact that the 2012 FAN editor
> doesn't support characters above 255, and that's a bug in Finale 2012
> (since they didn't expand the editor to allow the Unicode range).
>
> But characters occupying slots 257 and 259 would NOT be possible to use
> in Finale 2011 or earlier versions at all. So you would not be able to
> see or use these characters in pre-2012 versions. Pre-2012 versions
> could only support characters within the 0-255 range.
>
> I don't have Bill Duncan's fonts so I can't test myself, but this issue
> doesn't sound logical to me.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jari Williamsson

Chuck Israels