On 2/6/2012 9:49 AM, Raymond Horton wrote:

> Hey, I was wrong - not the first or last time.
>
> OK, smarty-pants (and I mean that in the best possible sense of the term)
> can you, or anyone else, help me with this one, on the same subject?

I'm not that much of a smarty-pants, sorry to say.  (wink, wink)

I have no clue why the results would be so vastly different.  I assume
you rebooted the computer, or at least restarted Finale, and the problem
continued?

In that case I might try extracting all the parts and then opening each
part individually in Finale and saving it as a wave file.  Perhaps that
might avoid the problem.

If it doesn't then I'd look to some expression or other marking that you
edited from a different expression which had playback assigned that you
forgot to remove.

If you export the complete file with all parts as a wave file, does the
problem show itself?

But none of that would explain why since that time your audio has been
off.  Perhaps the Mixer window needs to be looked at, or the settings in
the Instrument window?

Why did the music director want to go to all that extra work
re-combining the individual wave files when you, one would assume, had
all the balance issues worked out in the Finale file itself.

I'm sorry I don't have better answers to help you out.

David

> I mentioned that I have often inconsistent results with the "Save as Audio"
> function.
>
> In December, for a church service, I arranged a score for an ensemble of
> about 10 instruments that was to accompany a singer.  For another service,
> at which the instrumental ensemble could not be present, the same song and
> singer was needed, so we wanted accompaniment trax from the Finale file.
>   The music director for that service also runs a small recording studio,
> and he wanted each instrumental GPO group on a separate WAV file.  He was
> going to sync them up, balance them separately, and add live drums.  It was
> to be about six separate wav files.  The first three or four "Saved to
> Audio" just fine, but then, with no notice or anything done differently,
> the remaining "Save to Audio" WAV files where unusable - the balance would
> be totally off, even changing balance in the middle of the file, or other
> problems.  So I had to record the remaining files in real time to Audacity.
>
> Ever since then "Save as Audio" results in unusable audio - mostly the
> resulting wav file is very soft, or most instruments will be soft while the
> percussion is very loud, etc.
>
> As I said, I haven't changed anything.  I appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Raymond Horton
> Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
> Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
> Composer, Arranger
> VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com

David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com