Thanks, David. The method you suggest is the one I use as my workaround. I tried my method again and realised I was making an error in the number of semiquavers needed...shouldn't try complex tasks when half asleep =)
Investigating further I realise that the Mirror Tool method to create the anacrusis is being deprecated since there seems to be no mention of it anywhere (and, I've discovered, the existence of Document>Pick-up measure...wow!). However, the Mirror Tool method was a 'wonderful' functionality introduced sometime back in the 90's...I've been using Finale since version 3.1, ca 1991. I have always been a fan of Finale for the many ways that a particular task can be achieved, allowing me to swap platforms, laptop/desktop, MIDI/QWERTY, and so on. The prescient vision of the original creators has to be roundly admired! What this has underlined for me is that the company is mindful that older users have preferred methods of working and, rather than simply delete functionality, they are allowing older methods to "...go gentle into that good night..." (apologies to Dylan Thomas) Stephen > Has the mirror tool ever not misbehaved? It seems that it is the > least-discussed tool in Finale because nobody can get it to work very well. > > I'm curious as to why you would be using the mirror tool to create this > example -- how would that help with an anacrusis (it's one word by the way)? > > The only way I've ever read about or used for creating a pickup is by > manipulating the meter -- create one that, for example, says 1/8 for an > anacrusis in a work which is in 4/4 and in the time signature dialogue > selecting More Options and then defining the Time Signature For Display > to be 4/4, and then in the measure after the anacrusis changing the > meter to be 4/4, which won't display since it's not a change from what > was displayed previously so there's no need to hide it. > > Or am I misunderstanding the problem? > > > -- > David H. Bailey > [email protected] > > ________________________________________________________________________________ ars est longa, vita brevis Stephen Cronin's home page: http://www.stephen.cronin.name {real+imagined} http://www.real-imagined.com.au _______________________________________________ Finale mailing list [email protected] http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
