>On 19 September 2012 06:23, SN jef chippewa
><shirl...@newmusicnotation.com>wrote:
>

>>  i am designing a font (open type) containing characters for durations
>>  and to be used for tempo indications and time sigs and am trying to
>>  get ligatures to work.  for example, when i type 2 flagged sixteenth
>>  notes directly after one another, 2 beamed 16ths result.

Jef, please forgive my lack of understanding, but
exactly what do you mean by ligatures?  Do you
actually mean beaming, as it seems above?

Ligatures have a very specific meaning
historically, originating in the earliest
attempts at a non-letter notation in the 9th and
10th centuries, growing into a system of neumes,
and incorporated into Guido's 11th century chant
notation, and simply refer to more than one note
combined into a single graphic form--something
for which today we would simply use a slur.  And
THOSE ligatures lasted well into the 15th and
16th centuries, and in fact are still used in
Gregorian chant notation.  Franco of Cologne
assigned them specific note values in the
mid-13th century and they are easily sightread
after learning his few simple rules.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms