On Sat Sep 22, at SaturdaySep 22 6:33 AM, Steve Parker wrote:

> Having decided to recreate my font libary from the ground up I've hit a 
> couple of questions:
> 
> How to I specify that the 'b' in Eb or Bb is closer to the E or B?

As far as I know, this is hard-coded into the font as kerning information. You 
can override this info in the SUFFIXES, but not in the chord name-to-accidental 
spacing. You CAN raise or lower the sharp or flat vertically, and making it 
smaller makes it appear closer, but I think you're out of luck, unless you edit 
a font specially for this.


> 
> I can get the other symbols as close as I like but is it possible to specify 
> that the 'ø' say in Aø is closer to the 'A' than in Abø or A#ø?

You can create two different suffixes with different spacing, but if you 
transpose (say from concert Bb to trumpet C), then you would have to change the 
suffix, so that is not a great solution. This bothers me, too.

Again, the zero horizontal position in the suffix is calculated according to 
kerning info in the font for the flat or sharp itself. It's sounding to me like 
you will want to create a special version of the font you use for the sharp and 
flat. It would be easy enough to do, I think, starting with an existing font.


> 
> I have a related problem in that the E in Eb is wider than the B in Bb so the 
> flat sign is further to the right leaving different gaps between the flat and 
> the next symbol (i.e. ø). 
> Any ideas here?

That's not supposed to be the case. The width of the character flat is supposed 
to determine the following space, not the width of the B or E.

I'm about at the limit of my knowledge here. See if you can get answers from 
the Forum, or from tech support. While you're at it, see if you can get the 
character for the slash to be thicker and closer to the upper and lower 
portions of the chord, and share the solution here. (e.g.,, C/E is too widely 
spaced.)

Christopher



_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to