I don't have the J&BB library, but the GPO and the band versions. The band
version has light versions of some instruments, which are recommended if the
computer is short of memory. The GPO comes with a light version of choir sounds.

I suspect some of the sounds coming with Finale being the light versions, but
others worked pretty well for me before I got the GPO. The bowed low strings
come to mind.

Playing bassbone myself I also have found the Finale bassbone sound very harsh.
But then I also have found recorded bassbones much brighter than what I heard
from my own instruments. A dark bass trombone tends to drown in the mix.

My worst problem right now is that the band library sounds are way too quiet to
mix with the GPO sounds. Sad as GPO brass sounds are way better than their band
library equivalents.

Klaus