Hi Darcy,

I tried your/Robert's suggestion yesterday and turned MIDI Thru on set to
a fixed channel of 99 and that worked for the time being.

I did report it to MakeMusic! through the Finale support website, and Ben
L. in support told me that although others have reported this issue they
have been unable to replicate it in-house so there's nothing they can do
about it.

Funny thing: when I quit and re-launched Finale, turned MIDI Thru off, and
tried to make it happen with a new default document, it didn't happen. And
now I'm able to work on my original file (generated in Finale 2012 with
the Setup Wizard so there would be no older-version file issues) with MIDI
Thru turned off without any problems. There must be some strange
interaction with the system-level MIDI manager or something. I'm curious
if this issue is Mac-only or if Windows users have run into it as well.

-Brian