For this piece I'm acting as editor rather than composer, so I don't feel
at liberty to change the meter from 7/4. (Were I the composer, I'd probably
just alternate between 3/4 and 4/4.)

I though about using expressions for the dotted barlines, but the group
barlines for the keyboard part would be a challenge. Maybe no worse a
challenge than my workaround for the multimeas rests, though. There's also
the issue of note-spacing. I guess every solution requires extra manual
work.