On 19-Oct-14, at 19-Oct-14  4:36 PM, Peter Taylor wrote:

> On 20.10.2014 05:07, Lee Dengler wrote:
>> I am engraving a piece that has a repeated section.  The first ending
>> is
>> very long - about 4.5 systems.  I have the beginning bracket for the
>> first
>> ending left open on the right end.  I have the ending bracket only in
>> the
>> least measure of the first ending.  It has the left end open.  I
>> tried to
>> continue the bracket through the entire first ending.  Two of the
>> systems
>> would only had the line with no beginning or ending.  That bracket
>> line -
>> all by itself with no beginning or ending "hook" looks odd on those 2
>> systems.  Is there some rule about this that I am not aware of?
>> Thanks to
>> anyone who can help.
>>
>> Lee Dengler
>
> I'm interested to hear views on this too Lee.  I had exactly the same
> situation earlier this year, a fairly rush job so I didn't have
> time to
> ponder or research it.  I put in the open-ended line above the systems
> and, although it does look strange as you say, I can tell you the
> amateur band players had no difficulty understanding and following it,
> which is what counts in the end in my book.

I don't know if there is any generally-accepted way to deal with
this, but I have put a Smart Line in the staves to simulate the very
long first ending. It can be hidden in the score. I know it may look
funny, but it makes sense to me. I find the Finale ending extensions
behave strangely and can't be easily edited when they get very long,
especially if there are multimeasure rests inside the bracket.

Christopher