Ah, but that's exactly the issue -- you're moving measures by hand to
another system. Finale has used its spacing algorithm to decide where it
thinks measures should go, and you're overriding that. If Finale
*didn't* lock the systems, then your measure would just pop back to
where it came from. The lock is what keeps things where you put them.

In my workflow, I find that I most often move a measure or two down a
system, in order to make more room on the previous one. So if I move a
measure from system 10 to system 11, Finale does lock both of them --
and then I usually wind up unlocking system 11 so that it and the
following systems will reflow. It's a minor hassle, but it makes sense
because Finale has no way of knowing my real intentions -- maybe I did
mean for system 11 to have one more measure, rather than wanting to have
things reflow. (If I unlocked both 10 and 11, Finale's spacing algorithm
would eventually put the measure back on system 10 -- either when it
runs automatically or when I choose Update Layout.)

Aaron.