Font Annotations are a list of measurements that show where the top,
bottom, left, and right limits of a character are. They help with
kerning (space between text characters) and in Finale they also help
with figuring out how far something is supposed to be from another
thing, say slur ends for example. Normally, you don't have to worry
about them, but if you are using a font that Finale doesn't know
about, you might have to create a Font Annotation for it. It is
automatic in recent versions of Finale, but I am away from my Finale
computer right now, so I don't know exactly where the command to
create the Font Annotations is.

When you click a note with the Articulation Tool, a window opens up.
This window contains all the articulations that are presently loaded.
You can make the window bigger (I certainly have!) to show more of
them at a glance. If for some reason you don't have the factory set
of articulations loaded, you can load a library. There are several
different ones included.

The breath mark is metatool B in my Finale default file. I'm pretty
sure it came from the factory like that. Hold the B key and click the
note. You can create more articulations using any character at all in
any font. The hard part is figuring out the default placement, which
always requires a bit of trying this and that.

Christopher