I had started the thread on AutoSave and I just got a new one. The
message: "The file xxxx could not be Autosaved. This file doesn't
exist." That's the file I am just working on, and had done a Save As to
this name.

I tracked this down to an illegal filename character (slash), from an
old system of naming files I was still using. Finale will open, work
with, and save files with a slash in the name, but not autosave.

I should have said before, I'm on an iMac, OSX Yosemite, Finale 2014d.

The autosave file is deleted when the parent file is closed (as Chuck
says, this seems to be new in 2014). I tried to simulate a crash by
force-quitting Finale. When I reopened Finale the active file opened
when I started the program, with changes that I had not manually saved
but were in the asv file. This would seem to be how it's designed to work.

I got the same result forcing a crash by manually shutting off the
computer - the file opened as it had been autosaved. If I had crashed
after doing a number of changes I didn't want to keep I would go find
the .bak backup file. This seems to be a good reason to check the Make
Backups When Saving Files prefs option.

So autosave is now a fully automatic function. If a file has been
autosaved, that's what opens after a crash; you can't open an asv file
as such. If you close your original, the asv goes too. If you
inadvertently close it, too bad.

And so to bed...

JR