Hi David,

I’m not saying it’s universal. It seems a general understanding in the UK brass
band world, but I’ve come across the idea elsewhere.
My childhood brass teacher initially taught it to me (he was a composition PhD,
fwiw..).
I know of no authority for it.
My example was pathological and should obviously be specified without risk of
misinterpretation.

I would feel safe writing  p < > in any situation and expect it to swell to mp
and not mf or ff.

Steve P.