On 4/7/2015 6:45 PM, Robert Patterson wrote:
> But beyond this, another reason I am attracted to the Surface Pro is the
> ability to use it as a music stand. The pen-based interface seems ideal
> (and the 12" screen just about ideal) for abandoning printed sheet music.

I'm using it as a music stand and I love it.  I'm not completely
abandoning printed sheet music because sometimes paper is simply easier
(faster random searching) but it's a wonderful way to travel with one's
complete library so that I can play anything I want to from my library
or study any of the scores from the Musician's CD-Rom Library.

And the SurfacePro's screen is vastly superior to the iPad (in my
opinion -- I have both a SurfacePro3 and an iPad4 with Retina display)
for music reading.  If the iPad is ever brought out in a 12" it would be
a toss-up for me as I much prefer ForScore on the iPad to MusicReader on
the SurfacePro for my music reading app.  But given the screen
difference between the iPad and the SurfacePro, I will put up with
MusicReader

And of course anybody can use Adobe Reader or any other PDF program to
read the music PDF files instead of a dedicated music-reading app if
they'd prefer.  But both ForScore and MusicReader have built-in devices
for annotating the music and writing reminders and such on the PDF
files.  The pen-input of the Surface makes that particularly handy.

If you don't already have a SurfacePro3 I recommend buying the i5
processor with the 256GB storage -- it comes with 8GB of RAM.  They have
a microSD slot but those cards only come up to 128GB in size and the
timing lag of reading from a SD card make it important to be able to
store the music library of PDF files on the main storage for faster
access.  The microSD card is great for storing data files for other
apps, but not for storing data which you want read at the fastest
possible speed for page turns or switching between PDF files.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com