Do you have a separate audio interface or are you using the sound
functions built into the Mac?

In my case, which is Win 8.1, I have a Presonus AudioBox as the audio
interface.  I was able to get a workable solution by setting the
protocol in the driver to "MME".  I don't know if that would have any
correspondence to your Mac environment.

Have you called MakeMusic support for help?