There must be a plausible explanation for this, but even as I replicate it I 
find it hard to believe.  I’m just curious whether anyone else has experienced 
this, perhaps with a different instrument like an acoustic piano.

I’m using Simple Entry (sometimes with, sometimes without, a midi keyboard) in 
Fin 2014 on an iMac (Yosemite).  As usual, since I go back and forth between 
recording in Cubase and transcribing in Finale, I have a Yeti Pro USB mike 
connected to the computer, for both audio in and out (headphones plugged into 
the mike).

I also have a nylon string classical guitar nearby for ideas and to check 
playability.  Often I’ll enter a measure or two, then pick up the guitar and 
figure out the next couple measures.  Today I noticed that when I returned to 
the screen I would see anywhere from one to half a dozen grayed out new notes, 
mostly on ledger lines way below the staff — i.e. way below the range of the 
instrument.  It is similar to what happens if you inadvertently brush the 
QWERTY keyboard or midi keyboard or mouse in Simple Entry.  I thought at first 
that I’d jiggled something to produce the notes.

Then I caught the crime in progress.  The rogue notes would appear if I plucked 
a string on the guitar hard enough — especially bass strings — and not 
otherwise.  It was not spontaneous.  The pitches don’t match exactly — even 
figuring in the octave difference in guitar notation — but generally are lower 
if the pitch is lower.  Below a certain threshold it doesn’t happen.  Has to be 
fairly loud.

WTF?

No, I’m not recording audio in Finale (nor am I running recording software at 
the moment).  It’s just a classical guitar with no electronic connection of any 
kind.  The mic does pick up the guitar but I have done nothing that would make 
Finale even aware of the mic, much less treat it as in input mode for notation. 
 Hyperscribe is not active.  It’s not just that Finale is responding to an 
audio signal; it’s that it is apparently trying to convert it to notation.  Not 
accurately.  But how does it even “hear” the guitar at all?
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

To unsubscribe from finale send a message to:
[email protected]

Reply via email to