You could add the “blank notation with rests” Staff Style ONLY to the parts
where you need to create rests. Then the mulitmeasure rest will create properly.

I use the same technique when I have a linked part where both flutes are on the
same staff, but with a solo in the first and a rest in the second.

Christopher