FWIW: The next release of Patterson plugins is going to have new
miscellaneous functions to

1. Change the number of a lyric Verse, Chorus, Section (preserving all
baseline settings and offsets).
2. Transfer system baseline offsets between files (provided both use the
same staff numbers and lyric numbers, which they will if created from the
same template).
3. Remove all groups except those that start on the first measure and
extend those throughout the piece.

These will make Score Merger a whole lot more practical. It may still
mangle the lyric text, even if each source file has different lyric
numbers. But you can fix that fairly quickly with my mass copy plugin.