I’ve heard of this. What I do is to put the file inside a folder, name the
folder without anything that looks like a file extension, and zip that folder.
That usually works.

But recently I’ve taken to sending Dropbox links, which don’t get lost, are
retrievable from anywhere, and can be any size of file. (Google Drive does the
same thing.)

Christopher