Claudio,

I recently updated to macOS 10.13 from 10.11. I only noticed tabs since
that upgrade. It is possible the tabs feature is not available in 10.11.

Larry,

I have never been a big user of tabs in, for example, web browsers. But in
Finale I expect I will use them in place of multiple windows. I work in
full-screen mode in Finale almost exclusively. Tabs allow a single click
between different files or different views of the same file. The only way
to move to a different window in Finale (that I am aware of) is to select
it from the menu. On a multi-monitor setup, menu selection is a much slower
process.