Hallo.

I have a problem in Finale with changing key signatures. There are two basic options in Finale for this - to cancel the old key signature (partially or entirely) with naturals before inserting the new one, or just inserting the new one. I always use the former option for this - the older, traditional method - but Finale usually doesn't do this correctly, and I'm wondering if this is a known problem and if there is anything I can do about it. As I'm sure most here would know, you cancel the entire old key signature if you go from sharps to flats or vice-versa; but if you go from sharps to a smaller sharp signature or flats to a smaller flat signature, you cancel only the flats or sharps in the old signature that won't be in the new one. And if you are going from a smaller to a larger signature of the same type, then, and only then, do you have no naturals at all. However, most of the time, I find that Finale puts in all the naturals for the entire old signature regardless - sometimes even in the last case I mentioned where none are needed. To make things more complicated, it sometimes seems to do things correctly, which is why I just said "most of the time". That seems to suggest that there are unknown, invisible circumstances in each situation that govern whether this problem occurs or not. In a case where it does it incorrectly, though, no amount of tweaking or re-doing it seems to make any difference. This seems such an obvious problem that I would find it incredible that it has not, over all the years Finale has being going, been noticed and corrected. (To forestall anyone asking, yes, I have tried different settings in the menu item that controls key signature changes. It does change some behaviour, but not in a way that is correct according to the normal rules for changing key signatures, as I described above.)

Is this a known problem, and is there a remedy, please? Or am I possibly doing something wrong that I just don't know about?
     Thank you.

                         Michael Edwards.