[Michael Meyer:]

A student of mine wrote their end-of-year composition project for my Music Theory class for soprano accompanied by clarinet, violin, bass clarinet,
and cello.

For a chamber group, what order would you put the instruments in? It seems weird to put them in strict orchestral order (which would put the soprano
in the middle, and I would think she should be at the top).

Happy to hear opinions! Thanks!

I think I would put the soprano at the top, but the rest in normal orchestral order. I have an idea that chamber music does usually follow orchestral order, with a few exceptions - such as piano (when present) at the bottom, or a solo singer at the top. If I recall correctly, Schubert's Octet has the score arranged in the order: Clarinet; Horn; Bassoon; Violin 1; Violin 2; Viola; Cello; Double-Bass. (The Horn is another exception to orchestral practice - put above the Bassoon, in average order of descending pitch, so classifying all the wind together.) Beethoven's Septet (with almost the same instrumentation) does similarly in copies of that score I've seen.
     So I would feel safe in doing what I just listed above.
     Hope that helps a little.

Michael Edwards.