That seems right.

I reserve layer 3 for cues above the staff, and I set Layer Options so that
Layer 3 is always stems up, ties up, and rests are displaced by 6 steps. I make
sure the option is selected that this happens even when the other layers are
empty.

I reserve layer 4 for cues below the staff, Layer Options stems down for Layer
4, ties down, and rests displaced by negative 6 steps.

Layer 2 I use in choral parts and keyboard parts and stems down on drum parts
(not to mention paired instruments on staves) so I don’t want that for cues.

You have to edit the Slash Notation staff style so that under Alternate
Notation you edit it to show items in other layers. Otherwise, out of the box,
Finale will NOT show anything else. I also add articulations and expressions in
other layers to be displayed, because those things need to show, even in the
drum part.

I also like to Show Active Layer while in Layer 3, select the entire drum
staff, and Change Note Size to 75%. I do this only once the whole drum part is
done. Some people like the drum cues to be full-sized, but I find it gets
crowded at 100%. Repeat for Layer 4.

Hope this helps.

Christopher