I would never touch the Ossia tool. It is a holdover from an earlier version of
the Matrix, and is very difficult to kill.

A better way is to add another staff to your part, resize it if you want to,
and use the Force Hide and Collapse staff style on it everywhere that you don’t
need it. At this this method works consistently in a foreseeable fashion,
unlike the Ossia Tool.

Christopher