I know the topic of trying to use voiced parts (all but useless to me as it
stands) has been covered and I’ve tried all the workarounds at various times
and know the issues, so I’m not asking about that. The TGTools plug-in “Smart
Explosion of multi-part staves…” often yields better results, but it’s still
not the close-to-100% solution I’m looking for. I’ve also had some success with
the JW Staff Polyphony plug-in. To be clear, this is not just to make the score
look good; I want to retain the convenience of linked parts so I don’t have to

So after years of trying every method I can think of, I thought I’d approach it
from the other direction this time in an orchestral score I’m working on. This
time I set the score up with each woodwind and brass instrument on its own
line, which of course would necessitate the use of a microscope to read the
score even on 11 x 17 paper at the reduction necessary to fit all the staves on
each page. But my hope is that by using the JW Staff Polyphony plug-in to
combine 2 staves into 1 where possible (Flute 1/2, Clarinet 1/2, etc.) and then
hiding the staves with individual parts in the score, it might be less tedious.
It seems to be promising, but I still end up with double sets of expressions -
dynamics, for instance.

I can make all this work one way or another and have many times, but I’m
writing in case there is a plug-in I haven’t yet explored out there, or in case
someone knows a way to set the ones I’m using to yield results that don’t
require as much “clean-up” afterwards. BTW, the “old way” - creating 2-part
staves and exploding them later - has been tried both with and without using
separate layers, and I’ve discovered some of those pitfalls as well.

Thanks for any approaches I may not have thought of,

Doug