Begin forwarded message:

From: pete meyers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: March 4, 2007 1:38:58 PM EST
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: REMINDER: Celebration of Living Wage Employers, Monday, 3/5,
at 7:30 p.m.

Hi folks:
On Monday, March 5th, @ 7:30 p.m.,the Religious Task Force for a
Living Wage, the Tompkins County Workers' Center, Catholic Charities,
and the CRESP Center for Transformative Action invite you to help us
"Celebrate Living Wage" at the First Baptist Church (the grey, stone
church, located at the back of DeWitt Park in downtown Ithaca).

The program will include Music, Poetry, Reflections, and a
celebration of the local employers (now 37!) that have achieved
Living Wage Certification (apparently the first of its kind anywhere)
in Tompkins County. (A complete list of LW Employers to be found at
www.TCWorkersCenter.org/employers).

This event will also serve as the kick-off for local participation in
the NYS Labor-Religion Coalition's 12th Annual 40 Hour FAST (more
information on the fast can be found at http://www.labor-religion.
org) which lasts from March 5th, at 8 PM until March 7th, at Noon.

Workers in Tompkins County are hungering for living wage jobs. Going
without food for one or more meals during the FAST is an expression
of solidarity with them and their cause.

Please read Edie Reagan's Letter to the Editor below about the
importance of this Living Wage Employer Certification program.

In solidarity
Pete

Certainly the recent raise in New York State’s minimum wage to $7.15/
hour is to be applauded as a salary boost to hundreds of Tompkins
County workers. It is important to keep in mind, however, that this
still falls substantially short of the salary required to support a
family here. Someone working full time, at the new minimum wage,
would earn only $14,872 annually –   $2,000 below the 2007 Federal
Poverty level for a family of three and $4,000 below the living wage
required for a single person living in Tompkins County, according to
AFCU’s 2004 Living Wage Study.   Clearly we still have a long way to go.

Rev. Martin Luther King once declared, “There’s nothing but a lack of
social vision to prevent us from paying an adequate wage to every
American, whether he is a hospital worker, laundry worker, maid or
day laborer”. The Religious Task Force for a Living Wage commends the
37 “Living Wage Certified” employers in our county who have embraced
the social vision required to start pushing our local and national
economic systems in a more just and equitable direction. (For a
complete listing  of these employers, see www.TCWorkersCenter.org/
employer.) Monday, March 5th, 7:30 PM, at the First Baptist Church,
community members are invited to a “Celebrate Living Wage!” event,
where these employers will be honored and we will  “kick-off” local
participation in the NYS Labor-Religion Coalition’s 12th Annual 40
Hour FAST (March 5th, 8 PM until March 7th, Noon). Come and
“Celebrate Living Wage!”.

Edie Reagan
Director of Justice and Peace Ministry
Catholic Charities of Tompkins County

Pete Meyers
TC Workers' Center
115 E. State Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
607-269-0409
www.TCWorkersCenter.org
www.TCSwarm.org

"....Humanity is outraged in me and with me. We must not dissimulate
nor try to forget this indignation which is one of the most
passionate forms of love".--George Sand

powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral."--Paulo
Freire

"A final victory is an accumulation of many short-term encounters. To
lightly dismiss a success because it does not usher in a complete
order of justice is to fail to comprehend the process of achieving
full victory. It underestimates the value of confrontation and
dissolves the confidence born of a partial victory by which new
efforts are powered."--Martin Luther King, Jr.

Michael Burns
http://www.cayuta.org
Earn your permaculture design certificate.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers affordable local classes.
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org