------------------------------ Original Message ------------------------------
From:    "Simon St.Laurent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The New York Times has a fun map on the endangered foods of North
America by region:

<http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/04/29/dining/20080430_LIST_GRAPHIC.html>

The article explaining the book where these come from is at:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/dining/30come.html>

The book isn't out yet, but I'll let people know how it looks when it
arrives.

We're in the "Maple Syrup Nation", and our endangered foods list includes:

* Sugar Maple of the Allegheny Plateau (Southern Tompkins County is
Northern AP)

* Java chicken -
<http://yorkstaters.blogspot.com/2005/12/2-tastes-of-region-java-chicken.html>

* Cayuga duck (I have 11 - didn't realize it was in trouble)

* Oldmixon free (clearstone) peach

* Seneca hominy flint corn

* Buckeye chicken

Keeping these plants and animals around might be something for us all to
think about.  I fear the Sugar Maple's problem is climate change, but
the rest do seem addressable on a small scale.

Thanks,
Simon St.Laurent

Earn your permaculture design certificate.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers affordable local classes.
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org