From:    "Gay Nicholson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi folks,

Please join us for the launch of this year's Buy Local campaign, and
our collective next step in sustaining our local economy.

Gay

Local First Ithaca forms, announces 2008 Holiday Campaign

Holiday promotional campaign will launch Ithaca area’s first on-going
“buy local” initiative in support of local business and a “living”
economy.

Facing tough economic times, over 40 independent local retailers have
joined effort to promote and celebrate Ithaca’s unique businesses.

Cinemapolis to show film “Independent America” for season opening event!

Newly-formed Local First Ithaca is proud to announce the beginning of
the 2008 Local First Ithaca Holiday Celebration!  This seven week
campaign of fun and engaging events will encourage and challenge the
community to spend their holiday dollars locally.  Supporting local
businesses and invigorating our local economy is more important than
ever in these economically challenging times.

The Holiday Campaign’s kick-off event will be the Ithaca premiere of
the film “Independent America:  the Two-Lane Search for Mom and Pop”
at Cinemapolis on Monday, November 17.  “Independent America” follows
two filmmakers as they travel the nation’s backroads, seeking out
small, independent businesses that are undauntedly resisting the “big-
boxification” of America.  The film will inspire viewers from all
walks of life to think about how they spend their money.

Cinemapolis will hold two showings of the film, at 5:00 and 7:00 pm.
The suggested donation of $8.50 will support both 7th Art Cinema—
Ithaca’s local, independent movie theaters—and Local First Ithaca.

Other events in the Holiday Celebration include a month-long “Local
Lover Challenge” contest, a local music and food event, a festive
“Shop Local Night,” and an array of events hosted by the individual
participating businesses.  Ithaca Mayor Carolyn Peterson will make a
proclamation during National Buy Local Week, the first week of
December.  A calendar and details of events will be available at
www.localfirstithaca.org beginning November 20.

Local First Ithaca’s inaugural campaign builds on past efforts,
particularly last year’s “Shop Green Holiday Passport”.  Business
owner Autumn Newell, who developed the Green Passport and is one of
the coordinators of this year’s campaign says, “I am so excited to see
this grow and evolve!  We have more than four times as many businesses
involved this year, and I think the impact will be great.”

“Spending our money locally has much wider economic effects than we
realize,” says co-organizer Jan Norman, long-time Ithaca business
owner.  “For us, this holiday campaign is just the beginning of the
creation of a business network that will be working to build a local,
living economy.”

For example, a 2007 study showed that if San Francisco residents
shifted just 10% of their spending from national chains to locally-
owned businesses, it would annually create 1,300 new jobs and nearly
$200 million in economic activity in their community.

“That’s really meaningful, people-centered economic development,” says
fellow Local First Ithaca organizer Leslie Ackerman, of Alternatives
Federal Credit Union.  “It doesn’t take millions in tax subsidies or
complicated legislation.  It just takes citizens, banding together to
build and support their community.”

“That’s what we’re trying to do,” says co-organizer Kelly Moreland,
owner of Mama Goose.  “The Local First concept puts people and vibrant
communities first.”

Participating Businesses include:

15 Steps
3D Light
American Crafts by Robbie Dein
Autumn Leaves
Avanti
Benjamin Peters
Bishops
Bookery 1
Bookery 2
Cobbler’s Cottage
Daria’s Boutique
Diaspora
Evolution 102
Finger Lakes Running Company
Gimme Coffee
GreenStar
Habitat of Ithaca
Handwork
The Holiday Store
Home Green Home
Homegrown
Homespun Boutique
Ithaca Feed and Grain
Ithaca Guitar Works
Ithaca Paint & Decorating
Ithaca’s Glass
The Jewelbox
Jillian’s Drawers
The Kitchen Sink
Loose Threads
Linda Myers Design
Mama Goose
Mansour Jewelers
Morris’ Too
Now You’re Cooking
No Radio Records
Pastimes
Petrune
Quilters’ Corner
Red Feet Wines
Shalimar
Silk Oak
Small World Music
Sparrow’s Fine Wines
T-Shirt Express
Tuff Soul
Unique World
Volume Records.

Gay Nicholson, Ph.D.

607-533-7312 (home office)
607-279-6618 (cell)

1 Maple Avenue
Lansing, NY 14882
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sustainable Tompkins
Program Coordinator
www.sustainabletompkins.org

Earn your permaculture design certificate.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers affordable local classes.
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org