Hey all,

I'm sure more than one person has mentioned, at least in conversation, the idea
of linking the snack program to a growing program, a la Cuba's school-based
community gardens.  That's a much bigger project, of course, but has the
potential of involving the children in growing their own food, teaching them
about food sovereignty and the pleasure of fruit right off the tree and veggies
right out of the ground--as well as maybe even involving the parents, since
elementary schools tend to be much more local than the middle and high schools.
 Of course, this would beautify the school neighborhoods and make them safer
places as well.  And looping back to the initial question, once gardens and
perennial beds are established, costs drop precipitously (and imagine the wee
mites mowing down on some Good King Henry)!

A more short-term answer might be in linking the local foodshed map to the
program.  While I'd be sorry to lose my big juneberry harvest, I wouldn't
grudge it to a few school children.

Towards a fair share and a fairer world,

Marvin