Begin forwarded message:

the Ecological Learning Institute presents:
Sunday Workshop Series - Winter-Spring 2010
at the GreenHouse Residential Learning Community
 University Heights South, UVM Campus
Free and Open to the Public
Afternoon Workshops 1-5pm • Evening Hands-on Sessions 7-8:30pm
To register, go to http://tinyurl.com/ecolearn

FEBRUARY 28:
Afternoon: URBAN PERMACULTURE: MYCOSCAPING AND EDIBLE FOREST
GARDENING
The design tools and practice of permaculture is especially useful in the urban environment. We will discuss various applications of permaculture design precedents and how they may be used in the urban setting. The focus of the workshop will be on two practices we find especially exciting: mycoscaping and edible forest gardening. Mycoscaping is the incorporation of mushroom production in the landscape for food, medicine, and even bioremediation. Edible forest gardening is the practice of growing
food in a way that mimics the resilience and fertility of wild forests.
Evening: MYCOSCAPING WITH COMPOST
Several species of delicious edible mushrooms will grow readily on compost. Weʼll explore potential species, and talk about basic techniques for inoculating mushrooms in compost bins and patches. Weʼll inoculate own batches of vermicompost, using the product of our the vermicompost system we set up in January, with Shaggy Mane, a
delicious and easy-to-grow mushroom.

MARCH 28:
Afternoon: LIBERATION ECOLOGY I: DESIGN TOOLS FOR A WHOLE FUTURE
What would "sustainability" look like, if it refused to sustain white supremacy? What could "liberation" look like, in a society headed for ecological collapse? In this experiential workshop, participants begin to develop answers to these questions in an environment of collaboration, experiment, and wrestling with some hard questions. Mini-design projects, Daylighting Exercises, presentation, and facilitated discussion, help participants draw new maps of our situation, and chart new paths for their own work, forward to a truly sustainable society. Check out www.liberationecology.org for
more details.

APRIL 4:
Afternoon: LIBERATION ECOLOGY II: POWER, PRIVILEGE, AND PROJECT
DESIGN
Drawing upon the concepts, discussions, and conflicts that arose in the first Liberation Ecology workshop, this second portion of the workshops specifically addresses project design. What are the key principles, tools, and ways in which we can design our projects to actively undo systems of inequitable power and privilege? This interactive workshop is designed for participants to develop their own work projects or start new
project ideas.
Evening: COMPOST TEA FOR SOIL HEALTH
As we continue to explore the uses of the vermicompost system we set up in January, weʼll use some vermicompost to make some aerated compost tea. This is a method for “brew” a whole soil ecology in a water medium, which can then be easily applied to plants and soils in order to boost fertility and health. The life in the soil is the most powerful determinant of plant health, disease and pest resistance, and breakdown of contaminants, and compost tea is a simple and powerful way to give a boost to the
whole soil ecosystem.

APRIL 18:
Afternoon: COMMUNITY BIOREMEDIATION AND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
Toxic soil and water pollution are pervasive environmental health issues, plaguing communities worldwide. Fortunately, many of these toxins can be dealt with using accessible, ecological techniques. Bioremediation is the use of living organisms, such as fungi, microbes, and plants, to return contaminated conditions back to natural levels. We will go beyond practices for our own homes and backyards, and explore the process of implementing community bioremediation projects - focusing on underlying principles and goals of a bioremediation strategy in order to make our projects more effective and
appropriate.
Evening: SHEET MULCHING
Sheet mulching is a fun and easy way to prepare plots of land for gardening. It is a way to create and preserve vibrant soil ecology. Also, sheet mulching techniques can be used to create a barrier or buffer from contaminants in questionable soil, while also creating the conditions that will help the soil repair itself. We will be using bedding material, compost tea, mushrooms, and compost in a fun day active session of garden
bed preparation.

Ecological Learning Institute
Social Objectives. Ecological Strategies.
i...@ecolearninginstitute.org

Earn your permaculture design certificate.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers affordable local classes.
http://www.fingerlakespermaculture.org