Tompkins grown: Farmer Grown Flour Farmers reinvent local grain- growing, milling to create artisan flours
By Aaron Munzer •Correspondent • February 22, 2010, 6:50 pm

http://www.theithacajournal.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220326/Tompkins+grown++Farmer+Grown+Flour

TRUMANSBURG -- Back in the 1800s, it wouldn't be at all unusual for Tompkins County to have a new flour mill.

"This was the grain belt," said Thor Oechsner, an organic grain grower who cultivates about 500 acres of wheat and corn in Newfield, which used to be a center for wheat farming. Even now, remnants of old grist mills dot the area.

But, he said, farmers gradually depleted the soil by using poor methods, and the wheat eventually moved west where the topsoil was measured in feet, not inches. And with them went the mills, until almost all that was left here were farmers growing grain to feed livestock.

Now there's a new mill in town, in a historic mill building in Trumansburg. As the popularity of local organic foods grew, Oechsner and his farming partners Erick Smith and Dan Lathwell at Cayuga Pure Organics in Brooktondale saw a chance to bring local grains back into style.

They started Farmer Ground Flour in 2009 to sell their locally grown and milled flour to customers who value their methods and their quality products.

"What we're trying to do is shorten the loop between the consumer and the farmer," Oechsner said. "The more local food gets, less (energy) goes into the product in terms of transport."

The result: fresh, gourmet wheat, buckwheat and spelt flours, as well as corn meal and polenta. What's more, Oechsner and company are working with Cornell University to debut heirloom wheat varieties with great flavor, nutrient density and adaptability that has been lost in the modern quest for super-sized yields.

Farmer Ground Flour was a recipient of one of Sustainable Tompkins' 2009 Signs of Sustainability Awards.

Unlike big milling operations, which process with metal mills in about six hours what FGF does in a month, it's all ground in the traditional style, with a Carolina granite millstone that no self-respecting pioneer flour mill would have been without.

It's that same grindstone that Greg Mol, the mill's manager and a partner in the venture, has been putting his nose to in order to get the business up and running. Mol, who seems to live in a pair of taped- up coveralls rimed with flour, has the dubious distinction of being the guy who gets to haul to the hopper every speck of the 10,000 pounds of grains a month that will become the flour shipped to New York City farmers' markets. Once there, it will command a premium price from the city fooderati, whose zeal for a regional diet is vast.

The flour is also available at the Greenstar Natural Foods Market in Ithaca, and Regional Access and Garden Gate Delivery offer it as well. Flours come in 2-pound bag and range in price from $3 for whole wheat to $4.75 for spelt flour.

"It's exciting to see how into it people are," Mol said. "People really want to know how it's grown, and how it all works, how we're rebuilding the food system."

There's also a tacit sense from these farmers that they're filling a niche in the local foods market that has been largely overlooked, while local vegetable operations, which have smaller start-up costs and relatively fewer risks, have flourished in the area.

"Vegetables have been local, but no one's tried to bring this type of quality wheat back," Oechsner said. "People need their bread -- it's a big deal."

But, just so no one forgets it, it's a risky business to be in, said Tycho Dan, the group's marketing guru and New York distributor and salesman, who's got a green tongue like some people have a green thumb. He said going up against the titans of monoculture requires a completely different business model which relies on customers who purchase based on their values and the exacting level of quality in the product.

"If you're in the (food) industry, the level of scale for the people who run this on a national and global scale, you can't even wrap your head around the number and the scale of this all," he said.

So Dan's most important job is to educate the flour-buying public, the artisan bakers, and the gourmet bread-lovers how important local and organic products are in the long run. And, because of their freshness -- their flours are usually less than two weeks old -- and flavor, why they're important in the short term. It's also about returning some equity to a system that he sees as having too many middlemen and too many compromises on quality.

"We're the farmers, the millers, and we're distributing and marketing, all in one organization," he said. "It's about paying a living wage, incentive-izing other farmers to do what we're doing, and there're so many other trickle-down effects of this."

It's certainly given enthusiasm to some already. At a tour of the mill several weeks ago, Katie Quinn-Jacobs, a leader of IthaCan, a recently formed home-preserving group, was excited about the existence of a new local food processor in the area to supplement her group's local foods training.

"The way we're looking at it, we need to rework the whole (local) food shed, and we're sort of missing the middle, the processors," she said. "As times get tougher, we think more and more people are going to go that route."

She said processing and preserving for winter are big hurdles not only for home gardeners like herself, but for the area's farmers.

"You know, after you've got it, what are you going to do with it?" she said.

Strangely, the most satisfying thing for everyone involved might just be praise for the product that comes their way. There never really was much in the way of a customer approval survey for Oechsner when all his crops went to feed cattle.

"Cows don't give good feedback," he said, "but people talk about its great flavor, how it's great in baking. I'm learning so much about milling and baking, and I'm meeting so many interesting people, and teaching so many about the crops."

http://www.theithacajournal.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220326/Tompkins+grown++Farmer+Grown+Flour

http://www.flxpermaculture.net
regional regenerative resources