Hi Matt,

Okay, I copied over that passwd file last night, and things went smoothly -- at least for a while. I left fink running over night only to see the following when I came back to my machine (at the bottom of this message). So it doesn't like that I already have X11 installed (Apple's version), and I'm wondering if I should have chosen the other option at the start when fink asked about the xfree86 virtual dependency.

I chose the second option (something about xfree86-rootless) because that's how I had it running on my machine. I don't need it to install xfree86 as a dependency -- is there any way around this?

Anyway, I'm just wondering what should I do at this point. I'm guessing some (if not most) of what I need is installed -- can I delete it all and start again? Will I end up with 2 copies of everything on my HD, or will fink overwrite the stuff that's already there when it runs again?

Thanks a lot -- I appreciate all you've done.

Take it easy,

===================
Selecting previously deselected package xfree86-rootless.
(Reading database ... 5021 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xfree86-rootless (from .../xfree86-rootless_4.2.1.1-3_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xfree86-base.
Unpacking xfree86-base (from .../xfree86-base_4.2.1.1-3_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...

You have an existing X11 installation in /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11.
This package refuses to overwrite these. Remove them, then tell Fink to
install xfree86-base again. (The package won't be recompiled.) If you want
to keep your X11 installation, install system-xfree86 resp. system-xtools
instead to make this known to Fink's package system.

Press Return to continue.

dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86- base_4.2.1.1-3_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):