You should ask these questions on fink-beginners because they're really
simple and they can be seen as insulting. In particular, "Why do
you link vim to X11 in this way? In what sense does 7.4.889-1 improve
on 7.3?"

If a package in fink doesn't help you, don't use it. If you don't know
what X11 is good for, I can't help you. You're an assistant professor so
that means you should have a PhD and should know how to learn about
things. Maybe take a course in historical computing.

If you don't know what's changed from Vim 7.3 to 7.4.889, you can either
look at the commit changes or use google.