> On May 24, 2016, at 08:39, Vicente Pais, Duarte <da...@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I have followed the instructions present in Fink’s webpage on how to install
> Fink for mac os x 10.11. Ultimately, the installing process stopped abruptly
> displaying an error of failure whilst doing Bootstrap Phase 2.
>
> I eventually looked for further help online and downloaded a script at
> https://github.com/fink/scripts/blob/master/srcinstaller/Install%20Fink.tool
> which I ran on my terminal. The installing process ended up at the same stage
> as before…

As should be expected since you didn’t actually change anything.  Install
Fink.tool automates the downloads and commands but doesn’t do anything.

> Attached is the terminal output containing the information of the errors at
> the end of the file.
>
> This is the extra information asked:
>
> Package manager version: 0.39.3
> Distribution version: selfupdate-point (bootstrap), 10.11, x86_64
> Trees: local/main stable/main
> Xcode.app: 7.3.1
> Xcode command-line tools: 7.3.1.0.1.1461711523
> dpkg-1.10.21-1243 is set to build with only one job.
>

> ERROR: Bootstrap phase 2 failed!
>

> Thank you,
> Duarte Pais
> Founded in 1821, Heriot-Watt is a leader in ideas and solutions. With
> campuses and students across the entire globe we span the world, delivering
> innovation and educational excellence in business, engineering, design and
> science.
>
> The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential. If
> you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying,
> distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should
> please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any
> attachments) from your system.

(we prefer inline text on these lists)

The error is the following:

libtool: link: gcc -I/sw/include -o msgfmt msgfmt-msgfmt.o msgfmt-write-mo.o
msgfmt-write-java.o msgfmt-write-csharp.o msgfmt-write-resources.o
msgfmt-write-tcl.o msgfmt-write-qt.o msgfmt-write-desktop.o msgfmt-write-xml.o
../../gettext-runtime/intl/msgfmt-hash-string.o -Wl,-framework
-Wl,CoreFoundation  -L/sw/lib ./.libs/libgettextsrc.a
/sw/src/fink.build/dpkg-1.10.21-1243/gettext-0.19.7/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib/.libs/libgettextlib.a
 -lncurses
/sw/src/fink.build/dpkg-1.10.21-1243/gettext-0.19.7/gettext-tools/intl/.libs/libintl.a
 /sw/lib/libiconv.dylib -lc
  "_bswap_32", referenced from:
      _write_table in msgfmt-write-mo.o
make[3]: *** [msgfmt] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
### execution of /tmp/fink.tQODV failed, exit code 2
phase compiling: dpkg-1.10.21-1243 failed

Google suggests that the issue might be the presence of a byteswap.h header.
For example:  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29358

Your configuration stage indicates that you do indeed have that:

checking byteswap.h usability... yes
checking byteswap.h presence... yes
checking for byteswap.h... yes

I don’t have such a thing on my 10.11 system:

checking byteswap.h usability... no
checking byteswap.h presence... no
checking for byteswap.h… no

I’d recommend finding that header, e.g. by running the following in a terminal
window:

find /usr -name byteswap.h

(I’m assuming that it’s most likely to be in /usr/include or
/usr/local/include).  Then rename the file temporarily once you know where it
resides:

sudo mv /path/to/byteswap.h /path/to/byteswap.h.moved

(replace /path/to by the actual path).  Since this is a header file, it
shouldn’t affect any running programs.

Once you have done the rename operation, try Install Fink.tool again.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison