> On Jun 14, 2016, at 09:31, Rex Lowther <physicsg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I would like to use fink to install SuiteSparse which is a set of matrix
> solver routines, source code.  However, this is what I get:
>
> Rexs-MacBook-Pro:~ rexlowther$ fink install suitesparse
> Password:
> Scanning package description files..........
> Information about 314 packages read in 2 seconds.
> Failed: no package found for specification 'suitesparse'!
>
> Based on an internet search I'm guessing that it only sees binary packages
> until I become an "Apple developer" and download a compiler.  However, this
> is just a guess.  Is it necessary to become an Apple developer?
>
> Thank you,
> Rex
> --
> Greetings from Rex Lowther
> physicsg...@gmail.com

Nope, the internet misled you. :-)

You didn’t specify your OS X version or how you installed Fink.  A compiler is
mandatory to install Fink for any OS X version we currently support
(10.9-10.11).

Start with running “fink selfupdate”, because you definitely don’t have a
current set of package descriptions.   There should be around 9000 (and about
the same number for the binary distribution).
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison