1)  I've finally smoothed some tuits down enough to work on
https://github.com/fink/fink/issues/42 .  This is going use a similar
methodology as the system-SDK packages, in that we're not going to have
system-javaXY packages present at all for systems where one cannot
possibly have that XY (e.g. system-java13 on Mountain Lion).  Having a
virtual package present but not installed produces a confusing faux
build process when installing something that depends on it, whereas not
having an entry for the package gives a straightforward "package does
not exist" message.
Once I've got something that WorksForMe on different platforms, I'll put
it in a branch of the main fink repository.

2) Regardless of what choice we make with regard to a potential separate
10.9 tree, we need to come up with a general way to exclude unsupported
update paths in fink.  We've been kind of half-assed about this since
10.4.  Right now, for example, someone on 10.6/i386 can update to 10.7.
  This is doubly unsupported by us, yet "fink selfupdate" or "fink
reinstall fink" will point them to the 10.7 distribution.
I'm thinking that we might want to check the current Distribution in
fink.conf along with the current OS X version, and if these aren't in a
supported upgrade path we'd disable fink build and install operations
(build, install, reinstall, selfupdate...) with a warning notice.  If
somebody had a fink that did this installed on 10.8, say, they'd update
to 10.9 with "10.8" in their Distribution, and then when they tried to
update or install something, fink would see that the 10.8 distribution
can't be updated to 10.9, and so the operation would be locked out.
As above, I'll produce a branch when I've got something.

It'd also be lovely if we could actually update the instructions on
finkproject.org. :-\

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison