On 1/17/15 7:51 AM, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to whom it may concern, I've backported Fink 0.38.3 to 10.4.
> It was surprisingly simple, I've only come across a handful
> of issues, all of which are fixed by the following 2 commits:
>
> https://github.com/l1k/fink/commit/59893b5af0f0e99aaf0a54b6ef80b1d93d5a2bf3
> https://github.com/l1k/fink/commit/8fca33932264f58ef4a7174adc6f9d7d60e90433
>
> How to replicate:
> * Install Perl 5.18.2 using the attached perl5182.info
> * Symlink /sw/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl

^ Sorry, but this is completely unacceptable for official project
purposes, because we _don't_ have people muck around in the system area,
and in particular we _don't_ have them overwrite system stuff.  Fink
assumes that the OS X system perl on 10.4 is version 5.8.1, and this
change will cause breakage in packages that rely on that.

> * Install Fink 0.38.3 using the attached fink-10.4.info and
>    fink-10.4.patch, the latter includes the 2 commits above
>
> I've only tested this on powerpc32, I don't have an i386 machine
> available. Also, I'm not sure if I've catched all portability
> issues. That being said, I've used this to successfully compile
> and install ntp 4.2.8, libidn 1.22 and mutt 1.5.23 (with fix
> for CVE-2014-9116) using the attached info and patch files.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lukas

A couple of other things:

1) You don't want a revision of 91 in fink-10.4.info, since that's the
revision for 10.9.  10.4 should have a revision of 31 to agree with past
practices.

2) The section starting with "# user-defined environment variables may
override a package-specific or fink-default value" seems completely
contrary to our intentions.  We *deliberately* don't want user variables
to modify anything in a build.

Rather than symlinking to /usr/bin/perl, what might be better would be
to have fink-10.4 Depend on perl5182-core, and to modify All of its its
scripts to use %p/bin/perl5.18.2 via a PatchScript.  The install
operation would then be:

1)  Have people bootstrap with fink-0.30.2 on 10.4.
2)  Have the first selfupdate bring in fink-0.38.3-31

I'll cc one of our developers who is interested in keeping up with
10.4/PPC development, since he has a test machine and would like a fink
release which supports newer .info file elements such as automatic xz
unpacking and RuntimeDepends.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison