I just put some updated ncurses packages in my experimental cvs.

ncurses 6.0 can be built with one of two different ABIs: 5, which is compatible
with ncurses 5.x and 6, which is source compatible but not binary. I updated
libncurses5 and libncursesw5 to 6.0 but using --with-abi-version=5 to remain
compatible. I also added a new libncurses6 which uses the new ABI. I also
turned off building of static libs.

The new libncurses6 is built with widechar support, like libncursesw5, but with
the ‘w’ suffix disabled for maximum compatibility with packages. Symlinks with
the ‘w’ are created too. There’s no need for a separate non-widechar lib. The
libs are also unburied. The ncurses package, which contains the utilities and
terminfo files is still built with libncurses5, but after migrating things to 6
we should move it to libncurses6. It’s not critical to move it as long as
libncurses5 is Essential.

Daniel