> On Dec 4, 2015, at 20:20, nunik...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Hello, Fink.
>
> Since you stopped supporting 10.4 (imagine I still use it) several
> earth cycles ago, the binary system of said version has also stopped
> working. Now, the problem is that although my fink manages to fetch
> the total of four Packages.gz's, it can not find any of the binaries
> during installation. This is because the URL of any given package
> inside "Packages.gz" is false.
>
> Example given:
> ----------------------------
> fink install gnome-base
> Failed to fetch
> http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/10.4/dists/fink-0.8.1/main/binary-darwin-powerpc//gnome/gnome-base_2.4.1-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
> 404 Not Found
> ----------------------------
>
> Indeed, it doesn't exist. But if you change the 'fink-0.8.1' to
> 'stable', you'll find it. (Strictly speaking '10.4/dists/' to
> 'distfiles/').
>
> Now, I only see two solutions for this first world problem.
> 1) I run ":%s/fink-0.8.1/stable/g" and
> ":%s/fink-0.8.1-updates/current/g", and feed my gunships to fink, or;
>
> 2) you redirect 10.4/dists/fink-0.8.1/ -> distfiles/fink-0.8.1/ and
> 10.4/dists/fink-0.8.1-updates/ -> distfiles/fink-0.8.1-updates/ to
> help all humanity. (This is obviously the best alternative).
>
> Thank you for helping out, Fink!
>
> Regards,
> nunikasi

I’m forwarding this onto the fink core list, as it’s an infrastructure issue.

Summarizing:  when we switched servers last year (?), the 10.4 and 10.5 binary
distributions were moved, apparently without rebuilding the Packages files so
that they pointed to the proper URIs, thus the 10.4 and 10.5 binary
distributions can’t use apt-get anymore.

It’s worth pointing out that these packages were built in 2006, we didn’t stop
supporting 10.4 until 2011 and there were still updates for some packages there
into this year.

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison