> On Jan 14, 2016, at 07:04, Ian Boardman <isb0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Alexander,
>   I am running Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). I know you are still in
> development on that. In any case, from reading various discussion threads
> (some you are in) that directly refer to apt-get hanging, and trying every
> suggestion on how to deal with this kind of situation, including starting
> from scratch with fink-0.32.2.tar.gz, I am under the impression it is
> unrelated to the OS version, but rather is only tied to apt-get itself. I've
> read all about this tool and am surprised that there seems to be no way to
> get debugging or diagnostic output turn up to the point where it would report
> what exactly it is trying to do when it hangs. All I see is "0% [Working]"
> where it hangs forever. I haven't touched the apt/sources.list, I checked
> that my computer can reach bindist.finkmirrors.net
> <http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/> and that I can see what is in
> http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/10.11/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-x86_64/
> <http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/10.11/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-x86_64/>.
>  So, do you know anything more about about apt-get that might help with this
> problem? Thanks for all your work, your time and assistance.
> Regards,
>   Ian Boardman

Please don’t contact me personally about stuff like this—which doesn’t involve
a package for which I am the listed maintainer.  That’s why the Fink project
has mailing lists (where subscribing isn’t mandatory), an IRC channel, etc. —
to provide a *public* record of discussions and issues to help improve the
project and so that others can benefit.  I’m redirecting the conversation to
the fink-core mailing list because you are having an issue with a core package.

My guess, based on the symptoms, is that perhaps your network setup uses a
proxy and that your Fink configuration isn’t set up to match that.   If this is
a work network then check with your network administrator.  Are you able to
download package sources (e.g. via “fink fetch <somepackage>”)?  If not, that
also suggests a network configuration issue.  “fink configure” will allow you
to change the proxy configuration and apt-get uses that information.

There are workarounds available as well.
1)  Since you can reach
http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/10.11/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-x86_64/
<http://bindist.finkmirrors.net/10.11/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-x86_64/>
in a browser, you can probably actually download the package .deb files from
there directly.  Once you’ve done that, you can use “sudo dpkg -i
<path/to/package.deb>” (that is, use the relative or absolute path to the file
you just downloaded.  The one drawback is that dependencies aren’t handled
automatically.

2)  If you also aren’t able to fetch package sources, you can download the
sources using a browser and put them in /sw/src (if your Fink tree is /sw).

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison